Monday, April 28, 2008

Music You May Not be Listening to...Yet




I went to see "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" this weekend. My buddy Pat hit the nail on the head when he reviewed the movie here
but it was the music that caught my ear. Yes there are Hawaiian versions of songs like "Everybody Hurts" and "Nothing Compares to You," and the now all too popular "leading man who you didn't know can sing still kind of can't but tries anyway" song. It was one little song playing in the background of a crowded bar scene however that caught my attention and validated my taste in music you may not have heard yet.

The band is the Bird and the Bee (a duet really) and I've been tasting their stuff for several months now. I should be a music supervisor in Hollywood except that I'm pretty sure I'd hate L.A. after about eight days. The song, "Fucking Boyfriend." Thanks to neither the Bird nor the Bee using any punctuation in their lyric sheets I'm unclear whether the song is about a boyfriend whose singular purpose is tied to coitus or if the song is more of an exasperate plea for the antagonist to enter into a committed relationship with the songstress. Either way it's worth a listen, as is the rest of their album. Below, a few tracks for you to aurally peruse (the first one is NSFW, the second is:




No comments: