Sunday, April 20, 2008

Copycat Concert post

I'm going to steal a post (or the idea of a post) from Mike-Nagel.blogspot.com and Mike since you are the only one who actually reads my blog I feel less like it's plagiarism.

On the off chance someone else wanders on here 1. go read Mike's blog and 2. this is about how much better it is seeing a concert in the cozy confines of a small venue. I have my favorites (mostly in NYC) like the Living Room, Bowery Ballroom, The Box, Canal Room and as evidenced from my last post here the Rock n Roll Hotel here in DC. I can't totally discount the wonder of larger venues -- were it not for arenas and stadiums I would not get to see some of my favorite artists like Bruce Springsteen, Counting Crows or Dave Matthews Band (yup, I'm the one guy that still likes them). That said, the new, cutting edge stuff is in the down and dirty dive clubs. I never would have discovered the wonders of Imogen Heap, Ingrid Michaelson, Joshua Radin, Ari Hest, Cary Brothers, Kate Havnevik or Schyler Fisk were it not for these small and wonderful venues.

Last Friday I got to see Ms. Michaelson and Mr. Hest for what must be about the 12th time by now here in DC on the campus of the nation's most expensive university, George Washington U (figure that one out). It was a sitdown auditorium, not a music club, but still -- it was like seeing them at your high school and it just felt so intimate. You can't beat it. Looking forward to getting up to NYC and checking out some stuff at two relatively new venues, Terminal 5 and the Highline Ballroom.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for the shout out... Have you wound up seeing Kate Nash yet? I'd like to hear about that one...

Anonymous said...

I had been up for about 30 hours at that point so unfortunately I relinquished my Kate Nash ticket. I'm regretting it now but at the time I barely remembered how to get home from work, never mind going to a concert in the 'hood.