Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fit for a King

I found tonight that Washington, DC, while lacking "the scene" of my beloved and much missed New York can be the birthplace of good music. Our story begins in Brooklyn where the band "Tigercity" was formed. I had heard them on myspace, downloaded their EP and was excited when I saw they were playing at one of the few good rock and roll venues here in our nation's capital. I took the short walk over there tonight. Tigercity was sandwiched between and opening band and the headliner; neither of which I was interested in (in fact, I broke my own rule and left as soon as Tigercity was done with their 45 minute set).

While they boys from Brooklyn were very entertaining (especially the antics of the lead singer who was so high I thought I just might witness my first OD live and in person) it was the local boys, the "no name" openers who wowed me...BIG TIME. "U.S. Royalty" by name thes boys had some serious chops. I know very little about them except that they are so new as to not have recorded anything yet and that they sound a little like a stripped-down "Killers."

Check out the video below for a taste and remember who told you about them when they hit it big!


1 comment:

Mike said...

I like their sound (from the one track) quite a bit... like a Hot Hot Heat with a wall of sound effect or something. Good stuff!